Learning with a Growth Mindset

Farsley Farfield Primary School.

Week 2 Responding to Challenge in 6W – The Magic Smartie

Monday 19th January | 14 comments
0

How do you respond to a challenge? After our ethos assembly on Tuesday, the children of 6W took part in a little social experiment.

Challenge Tagxedo

Imagine you have been given an envelope

Inside this envelope is a magic Smartie.
If you eat this magic Smartie, you will always find tasks that you take on easy.
Take a moment to think about this, then decide what you want to do.
A – Eat the Smartie?
B- Leave the Smartie in the envelope.

smarties

What would it be like…

• Learning to ride a bike
  • Doing the shopping
  • Taking a test
  • Singing in a choir
  • Talking a foreign language
  • Playing a musical instrument

What are the consequences for you?

• Would you get the satisfaction from a job well done?
  • What would you learn along the way?
  • What would you learn about yourself along the way?
  • What would you learn about others along the way?
  • How would it help you build friendships and relationships?
  • What if everybody took a magic Smartie?
  • What if only a few people took a magic Smartie?

Here is what Alisha said.

“From the start when we were introduced to the Smartie challenge, my mind was one hundred percent made up that I would choose option B-leave the Smartie in the envelope;here is why I made such an immediate decision.

First of all, for me the most important point is that anything you can do with a magic Smartie you can do without one. The only difference is that you wouldn’t have the same sense of satisfaction, achievement or pride as a person without a magic Smartie in their success of a challenge.(And of course the amount of effort and practice they put in).

Can you imagine passing an exam without going to school? Wouldn’t it bother you that in some ways you cheated? For some people they would still eat the magic Smartie but that would mean you would never be stretching or growing your brain by setting yourself goals that you can work towards and hopefully achieve. Altogether, although it would be a nice idea, I’m glad there isn’t a magic Smartie!:)”

Here’s how Omaymaa responded

“At first I took the smartie and wanted to find tasks that I usually find hard, easy! When my teacher asked the two groups (people who did eat the smartie and people who didn’t), I changed my mind and went to the other group. This was because of Alisha! The language that she used persuaded me and I wanted to challenge my brain instead of finding things easy!

When I did eat the smartie I realised that I wouldn’t actually be doing anything since Im not actually thinking even if the magic smartie would make me succesfull! I would have been glad if I didn’t eat the magic smartie in the first place because I would want to make mistakes and learn from them! Thank you Alisha for persuading me and I am glad as well that there isn’t actually a magic smartie!”

Omaymaa was not the only one who chose to take the magic Smartie before changing their mind. Take a look at our before and after discussion pictures.

Before – this lot chose not to take a Smartie and challenge themselves

After –  the vast majority of the Smartie eaters changed their minds. They realised that the magic Smartie would rob them of the satisfaction brought about by persevering with a task and stretching yourself.

14 responses to “Week 2 Responding to Challenge in 6W – The Magic Smartie”

1. Mr Harris says:

I really enjoyed reading this post and I can see that Alisha’s arguments were inspirational! What a tricky dilemma the Smartie Challenge was. Things that seem too good to be true, usually are. At the end of the day, life is a struggle and hard work is what usually brings success.

2. Bavandeep says:

hello growth mindset we have been learning all about the brain and we have been making brain hats and it was really really really super hard.

3. Bavandeep says:

Hello growth mindset we have been learning all about the brain and we have been making brain hats and it was really really really super hard!

4. Eesha says:

I wish the ”Magic Smartie” was real!

5. Jay says:

We did the magic smartie too it was very interesting! 🙂

6. SALLY (4GK) says:

I WOULD NOT EAT THE SMARTIE CAUSE IT WOULD GET BORING. HERE IS ONE EXAMPLE IF MR G PUT A EXTRA HARD MATHS QUESTION IN FRONT OF ME AND EVERY TIME I GOT IT RIGHT IT WOULD BE BORING. ASWELL I WOULD NEVER MAKE A MISTAKE AND I WOULD NOT BE ABELLE TO LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES.

7. HD says:

I wish could do that.

8. Megan says:

I love the assembelys thank you mr Wilkinson.

Thank you

Megan

9. Darcy says:

When we did the magic smartie in class assembly it was tricky to choose from but after the lesson I chose I wouldn’t take the smartie.

DARCY X X X :}

10. Mrs Charlesworth says:

What a brilliant and eloquent argument Alisha! Here Some comments from our debate in 3C:

Sometimes I find things difficult so I would take the smartie. It makes me feel scared. Flo 3C
    It would help me do my work quicker. Logan 3c
    I always wanted to climb walls and climb Mount Everest so the smartie would help me achieve my goals. Thomas 3c
    I wouldn’t eat the smartie

School is about challenge and I enjoy the challenge. Aiysha
    My brain wouldn’t stretch. Evie R
    If I don’t make mistakes my brain won’t expand. Ria
    My Brian won’t grow if I ate the smartie. Gabriel.
    It would be boring to be good at football without trying. Sonny.
    I want to be a scientist when I grow up and learn about the world. If I already know everything what would be the point? Haris
    I changed my mind because I like to learn things. Flo.
    I enjoy learning and challenging myself so I wouldn’t eat it. Geethanjali.
    What is the point of living if you know everything? I wouldn’t eat it. Gabriel

• sally says:

Good mistake Mrs Charlswoth you put brian in Gabriels text did you mean brain do not worry I have made a mistake in my text we should learn from our mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

• sally says:

Good mistake Mrs Charlswoth you put brian in Gabriels text did you mean brain do not worry I have made a mistake in my text we should learn from our mistakes!

11. Tom Walton says:

Such a brilliant idea!

Disappointed that my colleagues all elected to take the Smartie when I tried the idea out on them 😉 ! I guess that’s what work does for you!