Learning with a Growth Mindset

Farsley Farfield Primary School.

Cat’s Cradle, Open the Gate and Jacob’s Ladder – have you mastered a string game YET?

Sunday 8th February | 28 comments
0

After our assembly last week on the power of the word YET, a new craze has taken hold of children at FFPS. Everywhere you look, children have been collaborating with each other, persevering, showing resilience, sharing knowledge, learning from their mistakes and showing grit and determination and abundance when getting to grips with some good old fashioned string games.

I heard a story that while Y3 were returning from their trip to Leeds on Thursday, they had members of the public (who were sharing the bendy bus with them) mesmerized by their string game expertise. And to think that on Tuesday, many of them had not heard of Cat’s Cradle and did not know how to do it YET. It is truly amazing what you can learn in a short space of time if you focus your energy and believe that you can do it. This week it was Cat’s Cradle – whatever next?

Well done to everyone who has taken on the challenge of Cat’s Cradle – it doesn’t have to stop there. There are many other string games to have a go at. And for those of you who have not had a go at it YET…you are still young and time is on your side. As far as I am aware, no one had mastered Jacob’s Ladder YET, although I did see Mrs Carney practising like mad in the staffroom and outside her classroom door at break time on Thursday.

28 responses to “Cat’s Cradle, Open the Gate and Jacob’s Ladder – have you mastered a string game YET?”

1. simkj01 says:

This game is amazing! I haven’t mastered Jacobs ladder yet but I have mastered cat’s cradle it was amazing working together with other people.

2. morganbg01 says:

I liked doing the cats cradle it was very fun.

3. Sami says:

I haven’t mastered the Cat’s Cradle Yet but I’m sure sooner or later I’ll master it.

4. Hashim says:

I enjoyed it after I got the hang of it.

5. Imran says:

I do Cats Cradle when I am bored.It makes time fly but I still enjoy doing it because I challenge myself a lot.I have not mastered it but I am still trying.

6. C.A says:

I really enjoy doing cats cradle

7. Jonathan says:

I enjoyed doing cats cradle; it was a real challenge and I hope that I will always know how to do it.

8. C.A says:

I have almost done Jacobs ladder

9. Saad says:

I love playing cat’s cradle.

10. Ruby says:

I really enjoyed learning how to do cat’s cradle, it was really fun! Also when I got home I found out that my mum and grandma new how to do it from when they were at school. 🙂
    I am still working on Jacob’s ladder and open the gate though!

Ruby

11. Eeshal says:

I love cats cradle. My favourite cats cradle trick is the pinkie one.;)

12. Sophie says:

I haven’t tried it yet, but when I do I won’t get it straight away, but I will persevere. And soon I will get it.

13. Keerat Toor says:

I really enjoyed playing it. I enjoyed making mistakes.

14. Javiria says:

I really enjoyed cats cradle.It was tricky and challenging.

15. James says:

I can do Jacob’s ladder but I can’t do open the gate can you do granny’s gate

16. Josh says:

I had a try at cats cradle and I can’t do it yet but I can pass it on.

17. ERA says:

I thought I had mastered all the moves in cats cradle, but at youth club I found a knew one. at first I didn’t know how to do it, but finally I mastered it. I an so happy! 🙂

18. Isabelle says:

I can’t do the Cat’s cradle… YET!!!

19. Lucy says:

I couldn’t do the cats cradle yet but after about a week I mastered it I was so excited when I did it.
    Thank you Mr Wilkinson

20. Maya says:

I have finally mastered the cats cradle.

21. Zahra says:

Cats cradle is awesome I did 20 cats cradle

22. Sally has been keen to get me doing Cat’s cradle. Now she has reminded me how to do it, maybe we’ll take a look at a different string game.
    I have seen lots of children around school practising, I even saw someone at Asda with their string out!

23. Gb says:

I love cats cradle like all the other children.

24. olivia says:

I rely like the asembley of doing cats cradl and I like sam marshl doing cats cradl.

25. isharveer says:

I like playing cats cradle with my friend.

26. Elsie says:

I really enjoyed leaning cats cradle.

27. Arooj says:

I like cats cradle

28. Harneet says:

I really enjoy playing. Cats Cradle but it took me week to learn it