The plan for World Maths Day.
Saturday 10th October | 1 comment
The School Councillors have been very busy again this week, meeting twice to plan and organise World Maths Day and the fundraising for Unicef, in aid of Syrian refugee families.
Here is the schedule.
- Tuesday October 13th 2015 – World Maths Day. Dress as penguins or in black and white. Children will also be making masks at school, so everyone will be able to be a penguin on the day.
- Bring a donation to school, or you may wish to donate at https://www.justgiving.com/FFPS
- Children from Year 2 can also collect sponsors for their Mathletics score for the week from October 13th to 19th.
- 8.00am Mathletics Challenge starts! Year 2 children are welcome to come early. 2F doors will be open. KS2 children can join the challenge in 6W, entering through the Year 6 cloakrooms. Children do not need to register for this event.
- In class, everyone will be busy doing Maths based on the story 365 Penguins or Little Penguins.
- 10.00am Whole School Assembly. All staff and children will gather in the South Hall for a special assembly led by the children in the School Council. Extracts from the assembly will be posted on the blog after the event so families can share this special event too.
- 10.30 am Penguin Keep Fit and Dance session. The entire ‘waddle’ of penguins will gather on the South playground to perform the Numberfun Keep Fit song and do an improvised dance to a song from the movie, ‘Happy Feet.’
- Back in class, Maths and learning will continue for the penguins.
- After school Mathletics Clubs, will run for an extended session to 5.00pm., although hungry penguins can be collected from our usual finishing time of 4.15pm, for feeding. (Snacks will be available at the club, to help fuel brains)
- Happy Feet Family Movie. 5.15pm. South Hall. Tickets need to be purchased in advance. Chilled out seating, so you may wish to bring a cushion; there will be benches for adults and mats for the young penguins. Refreshments of ice pops, slush puppies, penguin biscuits and popcorn will be available. Tea and coffee for adults. You are also welcome to bring a picnic tea along. We are liaising with Fun Club, so that children from Fun Club can come to the movie and then parents would come and join their children at their normal collection time. (A Family ticket will still need to be purchased)
All the money collected through donations, payments to https://www.justgiving.com/FFPS, , Family Movie Tickets and sponsorship money will all go to Unicef to support Syrian refugee families.
The School Council also hope that the day will show everyone what fun Maths is and that it will inspire everyone to keep practising their Maths skills. The book 365 Penguins, will also make us reflect and think about the impact that global warming has across the world.
Below are the words which children from the School Council will read at the start of our assembly. They will also be writing poems and prayers, which we will share on the blog soon.
The School Council would like to thank the whole school community for their support and help with this event. We will post lots of pictures and videos of the event and keep you informed about the progress in fundraising.
Thank you, from Mrs Fisher, Mrs Lambert and Farsley Farfield School Council.